The Susan G. Komen Foundation says it cut funding to Planned Parenthood because it was under government investigation. Congress recently launched a probe into Planned Parenthood at the urging of anti-abortion groups, so Komen pulled funding for the group three days ago.
That’s when the media maelstrom hit. Many Planned Parenthood supporters across the nation voiced their disapproval of Komen’s cuts to funding on Facebook and Twitter.
The Komen For the Cure decided to reverse its decision. The group issued this statement on Friday: “We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives.”
The foundation had planned to stop giving grants to Planned Parenthood because it adopted a new criteria that excluded funding organizations that were under investigation.
Planned Parenthood received close to $680,000 last year for breast screenings. Planned Parenthood officials said they received a lot of donations this week. Raquel Simental of Planned Parenthood said the organization was going to use that money to fill the gaps if Komen’s new policy had gone through.
“I think what we saw today, thankfully, is that women and America rose above politics, and we did the right thing,” Simental said. “Komen did the right thing.”
She said one in five women have used Planned Parenthood at some point in their lives, so they are a trusted organization that has provided health care for millions of women.
Komen announced it would revise the group’s criteria for grant funding so that it won’t apply to similar investigations in the future.